Skip to main content

Best practices in cleaning your device

« WeCare Blog | May 25, 2020 |
Tips & Tricks
Best practices in cleaning your device

Excellent hygiene and creating a cleanliness routine right now is more important than ever. Today we discuss best practices to keep your devices (insulin pump and CGM transmitter) clean.


If you don't have some of these cleaning supplies handy, do not attempt to replace them with others, please only follow the steps you are able to.


  • 3-4 small and clean soft cloths
  • A mixture of water with mild detergent/soap
  • Clean water
  • 70% alcohol
  • A few clean cotton tips and balls


  1. Wash your hands thoroughly.
  2. Dampen a cloth with water mixed with a mild detergent/soap.
  3. Use the cloth to wipe the outside of the pump.
  4. Dampen a clean cloth with water and wipe to remove any detergent residue.
  5. Dry with a clean cloth.
  6. Wipe you pump with a 70% alcohol wipe.
  7. Use a dry clean cotton tip, remove any battery residue from the battery cap.
  8. Use a dry clean cloth to remove any battery residue from the battery compartment opening.

Caution: Never use organic solvents, such as lighter fluid, nail polish remover, or paint thinner to clean your pump. Never use lubricants with your pump. When cleaning your pump, be sure to keep the reservoir compartment dry and away from moisture. Cleaning your pump with organic solvents can cause the pump to malfunction and result in minor injury.


First, make sure you have your watertight tester. Properly connecting the tester to the transmitter ensures that fluids do not come in contact with the connector pins inside the transmitter.

If a tester is not available, please do not try cleaning your transmitter.


  • Mild Liquid Soap
  • Soft-Bristled small toothbrush
  • Container
  • Clean lint-free dry cloths

If you will also be removing adhesive residue from your transmitter, you also need Detachol® or alternate medical adhesive remover, and cotton swabs. We recommend that you do this after you’ve removed the transmitter, before your next sensor insertion.


  1. Wash your hands thoroughly.

  2. Attach the tester to the transmitter by lining up the flay side of the tester with the flat side of the transmitter. Push the tester into the transmitter until the flexible side arms of the tester click into the notches on both sides. When properly connected, the green light flashes 6 times.

  3. Hold the tester, saturate a cotton swab in the medical adhesive remover solution and gently rub any adhesive residue until it is fully removed.
  4. Rinse the transmitter under room temperature tap water for at least one minute.
  5. Prepare a mild liquid soap solution using 1 teaspoon of mild liquid soap per gallon of room temperature tap water. With the tester still attached, submerge in the mild liquid soap solution and soak for one minute.
  6. Hold the tester and brush the entire surface using a soft-bristled small toothbrush.
  7. Rinse the transmitter under running tap water for at least one minute and until all visible liquid soap is gone.
  8. Dry the transmitter and tester with a clean, dry cloth.  Place them on the cloth and air dry completely.
  9. Disconnect the teaser by gently squeezing the arms of the tester.

See the device manual for detailed information regarding the instructions for use, indications, contraindications, warnings,precautions, and potential adverse events.