The information we receive, and how we use it, depends on what you do when visiting our website. We collect and use non-personal information (information that does not identify you personally) differently to your personal information.
Your personal information
Personal information is information that can specifically identify you, such as your:
- first and last name
- address, telephone number, e-mail address or other contact information
- medical device serial number
- personal health information
- date of birth or age
- social media username or profile
- interests and qualifications
- IP (Internet Protocol) address when such address is associated with a specific user
We collect personal information about our users in two ways:
- when you enter personal information on certain pages of the website. For example, you may fill out a registration form for a particular service, participate in a survey, or complete a contact form.
- using automated means, specifically through cookies. Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the website. For more information about cookies, please click here.
How does Medtronic use personal information?
We may use the information that you have shared with us through this website (other than sensitive information, which is discussed separately below) for the following purposes:
- to respond to your requests
- to provide the services or information you request
- to allow you to register certain products or services, or enhance their functionality
- to resolve and track the status of any consumer and/or product or service issues
- to manage our relationship with you and facilitate any necessary follow up (e.g. by storing relevant information and preferences for a reasonable amount of time)
- to enter into, or perform a contract with you (e.g. in case you wish to order products or services from us)
- to enable you to participate in our online communities, including social media and blogs
- to contact you with information that might be of interest to you – see further the Marketing and Education section below
- In other ways to which you consent
Medtronic may also use your personal information to the extent necessary to achieve the following legitimate interests, so long as compatible with your rights and expectations of privacy:
- for analytical purposes in order to research, develop and improve programs, products, services and content
- to anonymize your information by removing any personal identifiers (your name, e-mail address, social security number, etc.) so that it may be used for other purposes. In this case, the anonymized information would no longer identify you and may be treated like other non-personal information. For more details please see the relevant section below.
- to enforce this Privacy Statement and other rules about your use of this website
- to protect our rights or property
Medtronic also has legal grounds to use your personal information:
- as necessary to protect someone's health, safety or welfare; and
- in order to comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
Where required by law, we will ask you to "opt-in" or affirmatively consent to the processing of your personal data for a particular purpose. For example, where the law so requires, we will only send you newsletters if you have subscribed to them.
What is sensitive information?
Some types of personal information are sensitive information. Sensitive information is personal information revealing or relating to your health (such as your device serial number, or the date of an implant), genetic or biometric data, your racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life or sexual orientation, political opinions or trade union membership.
Will Medtronic treat sensitive information differently to other personal information?
Medtronic will only collect and process your sensitive information:
- in ways for which you have given your explicit consent
- to protect the vital interests of you or another person, in cases where your explicit consent cannot be given or reasonably requested
- according to applicable laws which include suitable and specific measures to safeguard your fundamental rights and interests
- where the processing is necessary for medical purposes and we are, under the circumstances, under a duty of confidentiality equivalent to the duty of confidentiality of a health professional
- to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim
- We may collect sensitive information directly from you, when you voluntarily provide it to us for a particular purpose (e.g. when you contact us with a question or suggestion about our products and services);
- We may also collect sensitive information about patients through healthcare professionals who we work with to provide therapy or technical support for our products or services to you;
- We may collect sensitive information as required by European, and other governmental authorities in order to assure safe and effective use of our products and services;
- We may collect sensitive information about participants who have explicitly consented to participate in clinical trials, studies, and other research initiatives.
Non-personal information is information that cannot identify you or be tied to you in any way. Therefore the non-personal information that we collect through this website does not identify you as an individual person, and will not be linked to you. It may include information such as the following:
- the type of web browser software you use (for example, Internet Explorer)
- the name of the domain from which you access the Internet
- the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our website
- the date and time you access our website
- which pages you have visited on our website
- he search terms you use
- the links on which you click
What does Medtronic do with non-personal information?
We are always looking for ways to better serve you and improve our products, services and website experience. We will use non-personal information from you to make this website more useful to visitors. We may also use non-personal information for other business purposes. For example, we may use non-personal information or aggregate non-personal information to:
- create reports for internal use to develop programs, products, services or content
- adapt or improve the information or services provided
- share or sell information to third parties
- provide information on how our site is used, such as "traffic statistics" and "response rates" to third parties