VICKIE DE BEER – DELICIOUS COCONUT TRAY CAKE
This easy to bake cake is perfect for kid’s parties and bake sales at school! Serves 10-12, Baking time: 25 min
450 g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
200 g erythritol or xylitol
12 medium eggs, beaten
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
400 g finely ground almonds
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
6 tbsp (90 ml) desiccated coconut
For the topping:
250 ml cream
250 ml mascarpone
50 g erythritol
Pulp from 2 fresh granadillas
- Heat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a (30cm x 30 cm) rectangular tin or oven pan with butter and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine the butter and erythritol in a large mixing bowl and whisk with a hand beater until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and juice and mix through.
- Add the ground almonds, baking powder and the desiccated coconut and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown or springy to touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Combine the cream, mascarpone and erythritol in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Spread over the cooled cake and top with fresh granadilla pulp.
Author: Vickie de Beer - The Low Carb Solutions for Diabetics.