Stay ahead of your glucose levels with our first Smart
What is a Smart MDI System?
This first-in-the-world Smart MDI system combines Guardian™ 4 Smart* Continuous Glucose Monitoring System with InPen™ Smart** Insulin Pen System.
It helps improve your Time in Range, so you can stay ahead of your glucose levels.1,2 Guardian™ 4 CGM system tracks your glucose levels 24/7 in 5 min intervals and InPen™ system helps you take the right dose at the right time.
Combines the power of real-time, continuous glucose readings with predictive alerts and personalised insulin dosing* to help you stay ahead of your glucose levels1,2
Know before you go low or high with real-time blood glucose readings, trends and alerts.
Help prevent highs, alerting if you are trending high.
Help prevent lows, alerting if you are at low, or trending low.
All this information available in just one app
It is so helpful to be able to see all my trends and not have to be checking my blood sugar every 5 minutes.Sarah, Smart MDI system user
Frequently asked questions
The Smart MDI System brings together an ecosystem of Smart tools that provide real-time insights and comprehensive reports to make it easier to manage life on multiple daily injections (MDI).
- The Guardian™ 4 system is a real-time, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system indicated for the management of diabetes in persons age 7 years and older.
- The InPen™ system is intended for single-patient use by people with diabetes for the self-injection of a desired dose of insulin. For patients who do not self-manage their disease, the Smart device should always be under the supervision of a caregiver.
We’ve updated our standalone CGM system app and hardware to improve the customer experience. These are the most significant updates that can be found in the Guardian™ 4 system:
- The previous system was called the Guardian™ Connect system. This next generation of our Smart CGM is called the Guardian™ 4 Smart* CGM System
- The Guardian™ 4 system now requires no finger pricks**
- Non-adjunctive labeling. This means a user can now make treatment decisions based on the glucose value shown by the system, without the need for a confirmatory finger prick.
*Smart CGM predicts future high and low sensor glucose events up to 1 hour in advance and provides access to additional algorithms and insights that can inform users of clinically relevant glucose patterns. Please refer to IFU.
**If CGM readings do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions. Refer to System User Guide.
At this time, the grey InPen™ system is compatible with Lilly Humalog®, Lilly Lyumjev®, and the blue InPen™ system is compatible with Novo Nordisk NovoRapid®, Novo Nordisk Fiasp® and Novo Nordisk Insulin Aspart Injection, 3mL cartridges (300 units).
The Guardian™ 4 system and InPen™ system have a wide range of compatibility with several Apple® and Android™ devices. You can find updated compatibility information on our website.
InPen™ system is the first Smart* insulin pen that combines the freedom of Bluetooth® technology and intelligence through an easy-to-use Smartphone app, helping people administer correction and meal-time insulin doses.
*Smart Insulin pen connects to a mobile app to provide dosing calculations, reminders and CGM system integration. Please refer to IFU.
Yes, multiple InPen™ Smart insulin pens can by synced with one app account.
Cartridges are not included with InPen™ system. You’ll need a separate prescription for cartridges. Cartridges can be ordered from the same pharmacy where you get your other diabetes supplies.
- Abraham SB, et al. Improved Real-World Glycemic Control With Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Predictive Alerts. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 2021; 15(1):91–97
- Smith M, et al, E5 , SIPs Improve Time Below Range in MDI Therapy, AMCP Congress 2020
- Adolfsson P, Væver Hartvig, Kaas A, Møller JB, Hellman J. Increased Time in Range and Fewer Missed Bolus Injections After Introduction of a Smart Connected Insulin Pen. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, 2020;22(7):online ahead of print
- Dicimbrini I et al, Effects of real‑time continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes : a meta‑analysis of randomized controlled trials, Acta Diabetologica 2020 doi: 10.1007/s00592-020-01589-3
If CGM readings do not match SG or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions. Refer to System User Guide
Thanks to insulin dose reminders and bolus calculator
If CGM readings do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions. Refer to System User Guide.
Smart CGM predicts future high and low sensor glucose events up to 1 hour in advance and provides access to additional algorithms and insights that can inform users of clinically relevant glucose patterns. Please refer to IFU.
Smart Insulin pen connects to a mobile app to provide dosing calculations, reminders and CGM system integration. Please refer to IFU.
Information contained herein is not medical advice and should not be used as an alternative to speaking with your doctor. Discuss indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse events and any further information with your health care professional.
UC202120348 EZ ©2021 Medtronic. All rights reserved Medtronic. Medtronic logo and Further Together are trademarks of Medtronic. Third party brands are trademarks of their respective owners. All other brands are trademarks of a Medtronic company.