SUPER LOW CARB BROWNIES
Donna van Zyl is a private practicing dietician in Bloemfontein, with a special interest in the nutritional management of type 1 Diabetes. She shares her super low carb brownie recipe with us.
Donna van Zyl studied her Masters in Dietetics at UFS and is part of the Nutritional Solutions team (https://www.nutritionalsolutions.co.za/). She has a special interest in the nutritional management of type 1 diabetes and is also a Medtronic certified product trainer. In her efforts to support her patients, she baked low carb brownies to celebrate World Diabetes Awareness Day. Happy munching!
|Prep time||15 min|
|Cook time||20 min|
|Serving||16 Large (10g Xylitol carbs) or 25 bite size (6g Xylitol carbs)|
- 130g salted butter
- 160g xylitol powder
- 80g cocao powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 70g almond flour
- Position a rack in lower third of your oven and preheat to 350°F/180°C. Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of the 8x8-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Add butter, sweetener, and cocoa powder to medium heatproof bowl. Melt over a water bath whisking constantly (or use the microwave, in small increments). You’ll want to heat it up until most of the sweetener has melted and the mixture is well incorporated. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add one egg at a time, whisking well after each one until completely incorporated. The texture should appear smooth, ith all the sweetener dissolving into the mixture. Just be sure not to over-whisk, or your brownies could end up more cakey rather than fudgy.
- Add the almond flour, whisking vigorously until fully blended (about a minute)
- Bake for 15-25 minutes (we do about 23 with xylitol), or until the center is just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist. This really does vary (a lot!!) from oven to oven (think convection etc), so give them a check from minute 15 the first time around, and remember that your brownies will continue to cook while they cool.
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt (optional) and allow to cool completely on a rack. Lift brownies using the edge of the parchment paper and cut into desired size (we do 16!). To get extra clean edges, place in freezer for 10 minutes prior to cutting.