VICKIE DE BEER - HALLOUMI FRIES WITH A ZINGY MEXICAN SALSA
This is the perfect summertime snack. If you like a hot salsa, you can add 1 red chilli, chopped to the salsa.
400g Halloumi cheese with mint
60 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
For the Mexican Salsa:
300g colourful baby tomatoes, chopped roughly.
3 jalapeno chillies, chopped.
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped.
4 spring onions, sliced thinly.
A small hand full fresh coriander chopped Salt.
Juice of 1 lime + 1 lime, sliced into quarters, for serving, a few sprigs fresh coriander for serving.
- Pat the halloumi dry with towel paper and slice into fingers, set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl, season with salt and sprinkle the lime juice over. Leave to stand for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Fry the halloumi just before serving; heat half of the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat and fry the halloumi on both sides in batches.
- Reduce the heat if the cheese start to brown to quickly. Remove from the pan and drain on towel paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the oil and cheese fingers.
- Serve with fries warm with the salsa, the extra lime wedges and the fresh coriander.
AUTHOR: VICKIE DE BEER - THE LOW CARB SOLUTIONS FOR DIABETICS.