Breakfast egg cups, a simple and tasty way to start the day
A big reason why I love breakfast food so much is because many breakfast food items are low carb; like eggs, bacon, and cheese. These delicious breakfast egg cups have all three. There isn't an exact amount of ingredients you need for these. You really can use as many or as few ingredients as you wish.
Start by lightly coating 12 muffin cups with Olive Oil. Fit 1 slice of ham or bacon into each muffin cup (ham will hang over edges of cups). For some, I added scrambled eggs that had been mixed with a little milk, and for some I cracked the egg directly into the muffin cup for over-easy eggs.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 13 minutes. If you're making over-easy eggs, bake until whites are cooked but yolks are still runny. Season eggs with salt and pepper and remove cups carefully.
I also love meals like this that are individual portions. I can cater to each family member's taste-buds, by adding or omitting ingredients. The boys like theirs pretty simple; eggs, cheese & bacon. My husband & I like the addition of fresh veggies.
Recipe: Breakfast Egg Cups
Yield: Makes 12 breakfast cups
• Olive Oil
• 12 slices ham and/or 12 slices bacon
• 12 large eggs
• Shredded cheddar cheese
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Fresh veggies, basil, scallions or parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Lightly coat 12 muffin cups with Olive Oil.
3. Fit 1 slice of ham into each muffin cup (ham will hang over edges of cups).
4. Crack 1 egg into each cup. If your child does not like over-easy eggs, scramble the egg first with a little water or milk. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, or optional fillings, if desired.
5. Bake in middle of oven, about 13 minutes. If you're making over-easy eggs, bake until whites are cooked but yolks are still runny.
6. Season eggs with salt and pepper and remove cups carefully.
For the breakfast cups that contain scrambled egg, mixed with milk, I calculate 1 cup at 1 carb.
For the breakfast cups that contain over-easy eggs, I consider them to be carb-free.
These totals may vary depending on your add-ins.
Want to share your recipe? We are happy to hear. Contact us!